Re: Mirror Utes

Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca:
> Yes. The perl program "mirror" is available as a Debian package.

It works for me also.

> What is the problem? I use mirror on my Debian box at home to keep a partial
> mirror of about 200 MB.

I only have 130 MB or so:

	$ du -s /x/mirror
	137578  /x/mirror
	$

Having my floppy disk and/or tape drives break (they both work, but not
together, any more), and also getting rid of one broken hard disk during
the Easter vacation made me repartition the other disk and install
things again.  So I thought I'd go for ELF.  Apart from some trouble
with the installation disks (dated 15 March on ftp.funet.fi), everything
went smoothly (except for two hours debugging ppp, but that was just
because I couldn't type in my IP address correctly :-).

So after I had everything else installed, I thought I'd take a look at
mirror.  One mirror fan more in the world!  This is just about the best
thing that's happened to ftp as far as I'm concerned -- I usually use
ftp just to check if certain things have changed, and then download them.
Now my machine does that automatically, every night.  Things are a bliss
(except for the million or so other things that still need to be fixed in
my life :).

And here I've been avoiding mirror for ages because it is Perl script and
I don't know Perl.  "It won't work and I won't be able to fix it, and I'd
have to learn Perl, and I'm trying not to, just to annoy everyone."

Incidentally, my /usr is a symlink to /x/usr, and this has broken a few
things because Debian uses relative links.  My setup might be nonstandard,
but I prefer it over having /var in /usr/var, /home in /usr/home, and so
on.  It's cleaner this way.