Emacs Rmail

I am trying to use Emacs Rmail to retrieve my mail on a POP server;
As said in the info I have set rmail-primary-inbox-list to
("po:USERNAME") with my username in place of USERNAME, I have
set the variable MAILHOST to the name of the server;
when I try Alt-x rmail I get the message
  Retrieving mail from post-office
but nothing happens;
anyway I haven't given him my password, but I don't know where or when
I must give it; I have read the source of pop.c and there is a call
to getpass in pop_open but it seems unreachable when called by movemail.c.

Is anybody using it successfully?
Thanks for any help

Hubert Fauque
hubert.fauque@enst-bretagne.fr