Re: Moving Debian from one HD to another

David L. Johnson said:

> Martin Str|mberg wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to warn you that cp copies symbolic links as real files.
> > Thus if you had:
> >
> > -rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 jjj
> > lrwxrwxrwx   1 ms318    erisoft        3 Apr 11 11:07 kkk -> jjj
> >
> > in old and did "cp -r old new/" you would get
> >
> > -rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 jjj
> > -rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 kkk
> >
> Oops.  Another gotcha.  Is there a flag to cp to preserve links as
> links?

Not that I know of. As I'm at work using Solaris I can only state that
according to the man pages cp can't on Solaris. Linux might have more options
to cp. I recommend that you do "man cp" (hint, hint, nugde, wink).

>         The disadvantage of making a beeg tarfile is that it will take
> up a lot of room, so you need to have 3x(distribution size) available to
> do it that way.

Hmm. Well, if you do
"tar -cf - some-files-or-directories | (cd some-other-directory; tar -xpf -)",
I can't see why any big files would be created.

> --
>
> David L. Johnson         		dlj0@lehigh.edu, dlj0@netaxs.com
> Department of Mathematics		http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
> Lehigh University
> 14 E. Packer Avenue			(610) 758-3759
> Bethlehem, PA 18015-3174		(610) 828-3708

And now; the larch,

							MartinS