Re: Moving Debian from one HD to another

On Thu, 11 Apr 1996, David L. Johnson wrote:

> Martin Str|mberg wrote:
>
> > Just wanted to warn you that cp copies symbolic links as real files.

> Oops.  Another gotcha.  Is there a flag to cp to preserve links as
> links?  The disadvantage of making a beeg tarfile is that it will take
> up a lot of room, so you need to have 3x(distribution size) available to
> do it that way.

I once copied an entire Linux installation without any trouble
using cp -dpR
The -d takes care of the symbolic links, -p preserves permissions,
timestamps and so on. I think you can do the same with just the -a
option.
BTW: I use Loadlin to boot Linux, not LILO.

 #  sbolt@xs4all.nl  #   Steven Bolt   #  popular science monthly KIJK  #