Re: Moving Debian from one HD to another

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Billy Chow wrote:
>
> > Dear Debianers,
> >
> > Is there a way to *safely* move/copy a complete debian installation
> > from one hard disk to another (both formatted as ext2)?  Can tar do
> > it?  Any pitfalls?
>
> I have my old R6 system backed up in a tgz file, and have put it back on
> one drive or another several times. One of the things that allows me to

I think you need to be careful when compressing large amounts of data
using tar with the compression option.  I believe that if just one bit is
wrong, you will lose everything (all files) after that bit.  There are
some scripts for cpio which archive using compression which are much
safer.

Gerry