Re: Help w/ Callback-2.04

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> > I'm using uugetty on my modems and it works just fine.  It also has a nice
> > ring back feature that I find handy on one of my computers (I have an
> > answering/FAX machine and modem on the same line).  mgetty didn't have
> > this feature when I looked at it a few months ago.  Does it have it now?
>
> I don't know. The choice of "agetty" as our default getty was because it
> was free software and "mgetty" has a no-profit restriction on its license.
> Otherwise, we would have made "mgetty" the default. I don't see a "uugetty"
> package in the unstable directory - are you working on one? Is "uugetty"
> GPL-ed?

I'll take a look at license conditions for uugetty and if it's free I'd
be willing to take a shot at creating a package for it.

> There's been some discussion of switching the getty we use as the default.
> The one restriction is that it must be free software. I don't remember who
> the candidates were or where the discussion was when it ended.

Perhaps someone else who participated in that discussion could shed some
additional light?

Best regards,

                                       Nick

Nick Busigin                                                nick@xwing.org