Re: mke2fs and mount problem

Hi Dale,

Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I used mke2fs to reformat one of my partitions. Everything seemed to go
> ok, but when the file system creation was complete, and I tried to mount
> the new file system, mount hung. I could not kill it and eventually had
> to reboot. Much to my surprise, upon rebooting I discovered that, since
> it was still in fstab, the system mounted this drive at boot up with no
> problems. Since that time I have reformated the drive once more, with the
> same results. Mount immediately after creation fails with a lockup. After
> reboot the device mounts fine. Any ideas what's going on?
> This is a development ELF system, running 1.3.75/80 kernels (I swap back
> an forth pretty regularly, although this was done with .75)
>
> ld.so           1.7.14-2
> libc53          5.2.18-2
> ncurses3.0      1.9.8a-4
> mount           2.5-5

I experienced pretty the same weirdness when mounting some filesystem
without explicitly stating their type.

   mount /dev/sdaXX /mnt

makes the mount command hang. (I don't have the time now to do an
strace and find out why) I have never had any problems mounting
with the -t option e.g.

   mount -t ext2 /dev/sdaXX /mnt

If the filesystem you mount is described in the /etc/fstab, mount
behaves just fine, because it uses the provided fs-type.

That's just my 2 cents...

regards,
    Stoyan
--
Stoyan Kenderov                        /         phone: +49 721 9652 220
NTG Netzwerk und Telematic GmbH      \/          fax:   +49 721 9652 210