mke2fs and mount problem

I used mke2fs to reformat one of my partitions. Everything seemed to go
ok, but when the file system creation was complete, and I tried to mount
the new file system, mount hung. I could not kill it and eventually had
to reboot. Much to my surprise, upon rebooting I discovered that, since
it was still in fstab, the system mounted this drive at boot up with no
problems. Since that time I have reformated the drive once more, with the
same results. Mount immediately after creation fails with a lockup. After
reboot the device mounts fine. Any ideas what's going on?
This is a development ELF system, running 1.3.75/80 kernels (I swap back
an forth pretty regularly, although this was done with .75)

ld.so		1.7.14-2
libc53		5.2.18-2
ncurses3.0	1.9.8a-4
mount		2.5-5