Re: Upgrading to lilo-17.2 breaks my setup

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

(clip)
> The boot root disk maybe would make a better rescue setup if some
> problems were worked out.  These are subtleties, and eventually I was
> able to do it.
(clip)

I don't know how documented this is, but somehow in partially screwed up
systems I have been able to boot the partition I wanted by throwing in the
debian boot disks and at the first prompt typing 'linux root=/dev/hda2'
which is my linux / partition.

Also, and I don't know if this is -supposed- to work, but I have made boot
disks using a simple 'cp /kernel /dev/fd0'... I never have seen this method
documented, but it worked for me at one point.

This disk of course is not a complete system, it just loads my regular
system... how it knows what partition is what or how it boots, I do not
understand... anyone ever heard of this?

> Alan Davis
>
> "A working class hero is something to be."

__kmb203@psu.edu_____________________________Debian/GNU__Linux__1.3.77___
So you think you know the real meaning of fear?
Yeah, you think you do know, but I doubt it.
When you sit in a shelter with bombs falling all over.
And the houses around you are burning like torches.
I agree that you experience horror and fright
For such moments are dreadful, for as long as they last,
But the all-clear sounds--then it's okay--          |  -- Ilya Selvinskiy
You take a deep breath, the stress has passed by.   | (Taken from "The Sum
But real fear is a stone deep down in your chest.   |   of All Fears" by
You hear me?  A stone.  That's what it is, no more. | Tom Clancy pg. 182.)