Re: make dep fails to build kernel because of module bsd_comp.c

Bruce McArdle wrote:

>           I've just installed the Debian gcc and source so I can rebuild the
> kernel.  I get a error during the make dep process when it goes into the
> drivers/net directory.  The error is:
>
> bsd_comp.c : 56: #error This file must be compiled as a module.

I just struggled (and succeeded) with this error two days ago.

The makefile for drivers/net has bsd_comp.o for ppp. I'm not sure why.
My 1.2.13 src in my Slackware 2.3 didn't. It may be because I said
"yes" to "elf" support even though I don't need it yet. I need to test
saying "no" to elf to see if this makes a difference (I didn't
think that "make config" changes the makefiles any).

Anyway, looking at the source for bsd_comp.c you can clearly see that it
fails if it's not compiled as a module. To get around this, I had to
say "no" to ppp in make config so it _would_ be a module. I haven't
tried actually running pppd yet though.

--
...RickM...