Managing mail and news from a 14.4 ppp link

Dear list members,

At work, I have an user account on a LAN of workstations on which I
manage my mail and news using GNU emacs 19.28.  At home, I have a
Debian 93R6 box with emacs 19.29 and a 14.4 ppp link and would like to
sometimes read mail and news when I am bored.  Now my question is,
what are the better ways to do it in Debian?  Telneting back to my
work account and start emacs is not a good idea since connection time
is my first priority and should be minimised (due to expensive
telephone fees).  Besides, GNUS and running a remote emacs session are
*very* slow with the 14.4 ppp link.

I could download my inbox file from /var/spool/mail/ of my work
account and use something like 'suck' to get news feed.  But this
means when I am back at work, mail and news are not updated.

Any ideas?  What packages are available in Debian to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance,
/Billy