xconsole messages

    Dale> I am trying to get messages to appear on the xconsole under
    Dale> xdm. I have altered syslog.conf and the xdm startup files.
    Dale> Still noe messages. Is this in a FAQ somewhere because I
    Dale> can't find it. Any help getting xconsole to spew messages
    Dale> would be appreciated.

    Dale> Thanks Dale

 I've got that working.  In syslog.conf, you just add lines that write
to /dev/console.  Then, run xconsole, and it will display those log
messages.  I've also got some FVWM2 menu buttons that do things like
'exec free >/dev/console', 'exec mailq >/dev/console', or 'exec df
>/dev/console'.
 In ~/.fvwm2rc 's startup function, I run xconsole, setting it's
geometry so that it's the size I like, and resides in the lower left
corner of my screen.  It looks pretty good with an athena 3d
scrollbar.  I got the geometry numbers by just starting it plain from
an rxvt, then moving and resizing it.  I caught the numbers from
fvwm2's window list display on mouse button 3.

 It might be that you have to restart an xconsole like this for the
current user...  so that it starts after logging in, like from the
window manager startup file, or the .xinitrc

    8<---------------------- cut here ------------------------->8
# /etc/syslog.conf
# Time-stamp: <96/01/11 22:36:14 root>

# For info about the format of this file, see "man syslog.conf"

# auth, authpriv, cron, daemon, kern,
# lpr, mail, mark, news, syslog, user, uucp and local0 through local7.

# (higher to lower): emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, and
#     debug

# NOTE: YOU HAVE TO USE TABS HERE - NOT SPACES.
# I don't know why.

# This might work instead to log on a remote host:
# *			@hostname

# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
#*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none			/dev/console
*.info;mark.info;authpriv.none				/dev/console

# messages gets info and notice messages only
*.=info;*.=notice					/var/log/messages

# Log debug messages only
*.=debug						/var/log/debug

# warnings go into syslog
*.warn							/var/log/syslog

# The authpriv file has restricted access.
authpriv.*						/var/log/secure

# Log all the mail messages in one place.
mail.*							/var/log/maillog

# Everybody gets emergency messages, plus log them on another
# machine.
*.emerg							*
##########*.emerg		@arpa.berkeley.edu
*.emerg							/var/log/emergency

# Root and ??? get alert and higher messages.
*.alert							root,karlheg,/dev/console

# Save mail and news errors of level err and higher in a
# special file.
uucp,news.crit						/var/log/spoolerr

# lpd

auth.warning;						/var/log/auth.log
auth.debug;						/var/log/getty.debug.log

<karlheg@teleport.com>   Portland, Oregon,   USA      Linux 1.2.13 ELF