Re: Suggestions Needed

    >>> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 22:45:50 -0500 (EST) From: Nick Busigin
    >>> <nick@xwing.org> ... I'll need to install via floppies - at
    >>> least until I install enough packages so I can get a modem
    >>> link and continue over a PPP or SLIP connection ...

    maggio> Another pointer which may be useful to you is
    maggio> http://www.scimitar.com/debian/ "Anatomy of a Successful
    maggio> Debian Install" where the author explains how to install
    maggio> just the minimum needed to proceeed with a PPP
    maggio> connection. Note that some details are different with
    maggio> recent versions of the Linux kernel and of the Debian
    maggio> installation kit.

    Billy> Doing a sizable install with PPP is rather impractical even
    Billy> with a 28.8K, isn't it?  For a average FTP rate of 1.5k,
    Billy> 50Mb packages requires ~9 hours!  May be it's time to
    Billy> invest on a CD-ROM drive.

    Billy> /Billy

 Here's what I did to get Slackware 3.0  (I just started looking at
Debian this week.)

bash$ mkdir /home/ftp/pub/slakware
bash$ cd /home/ftp/pub/slakware
bash$ for f in a{1,2,3,4,5};do mkdir $f;cd $f;ncftp<site>:/<dir-\
slakware>/$f/*;cd ..;done;ppp-off

 BASH is great, isn't it?

 I did that for each set of disks, then re-installed an ELF system
from that.  It took a while at 14.4; I started it before I left for
school or before I went to bed.  In 3 days I got all of Slack 3.0.

 I am intrigued by the debian upgradeability thing, and am looking
into it.