Re: Suggestions Needed

> Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 22:45:50 -0500 (EST)
> From: Nick Busigin <nick@xwing.org>
> ... I'll need to install via floppies - at least until I install
> enough packages so I can get a modem link and continue over a PPP or SLIP
> connection ...

Another pointer which may be useful to you is
http://www.scimitar.com/debian/  "Anatomy of a Successful Debian Install"
where the author explains how to install just the minimum needed to
proceeed with a PPP connection. Note that some details are different
with recent versions of the Linux kernel and of the Debian installation kit.

> What I'm looking for is some advice on what would be the easiest way of
> doing a reasonably full install

I personally did it in the following way (quite peculiar):
I borrowed a QIC tape driver, made a backup of a debian/binary directory
using a Windows95 tool, downloaded everything on the DOS partion of my box,
and then I used Debian dselect to install from the hard drive DOS file system.

One more way is to connect your PC to a nearby one, already running Linux,
via a parallel port cable (I don't remember the technical name) and use the
PLIP driver (available after having installed via floppy the packages
netbase and netstd.

AM