Re: floppy installation

Keith,

  Keith>  Howdy, just dusted off my old notebook and would like to install
  Keith> debian on it. Problem - NO CD. The installation manual mentions
  Keith> (page 52) installation of the packages from floppy. The *.deb
  Keith> packages do not conform to the DOG 8.3 convention.

The naming convention for DOG is honoured in the ms-dos subdirectories.  They
contains 8.3-named links to the files in binary.

Installation from floppies is doable, especially when you have a Linux PC
nearby --- I once used a laplink cable and the PLIP driver to pass Debian
packages over the printer port. That way I only needed the boot/root plus
base disks and the netbase/netstd packages.

Best,

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd