floppy installation

Howdy,

just dusted off my old notebook and would like to install debian on
it. Problem - NO CD. The installation manual mentions (page 52)
installation of the packages from floppy. The *.deb packages do not
conform to the DOG 8.3 convention. So, is it safe to copy the file
changing the names to fit the convention so that they can go on ms-dog
preformated floppies or is is better to fdformat the disks, set up the
filesystem and copy the files as is.

Any thoughts (non-flaming type) would be appreciated as I would like to
take debian to work with me.

Keith
keithl@gil.net