Re: development kernels

On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Jeffrey Ebert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone tell me from where people are getting packaged development kernels?
> I hear about 1.3.57 and 1.3.66, but I cannot find them anywhere. The only
> packaged 1.3.x kernel appears to be 1.3.49 that can be found in
> debian/project/experimental/.
>
> I assumed that they were sitting in Incoming, but Matthew Bailey informs me
> that there is nothing in Incoming at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> Jeffrey Ebert                   Hughes Network Systems
> jebert@hns.com                  (301) 601-2662

I asked on this list the same question about a week ago, no answer.  But if
you go to a sunsite mirror (or sunsite, obv.) you can get the latest (1.3.66
I believe) kernel.  Follow the instructions in /usr/src/linux/README or
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.gz to install it.

I just wiped the /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-1.2.13 completely out,
and untarred, followed all the steps, and all was beautiful in the land.

By the way : I had already gotten as much of the unstable/ directory as I
could stuff in my filesystem and installed it.  I believe it would be un
exceedingly bad idea to do this without at least the elf devel. stuff. and a
kernel that runs ELF.

Well Samwise, now what do you think of ELF?

So you think you know the real meaning of fear?       |
Yeah, you think you do know, but I doubt it.          |  kmb203@psu.edu
When you sit in a shelter with bombs falling all over.|  running debian
And the houses around you are burning like torches.   |  Linux v 1.3.66
I agree that you experience horror and fright         |  (development)
For such moments are dreadful, for as long as they last,
But the all-clear sounds--then it's okay--          |  -- Ilya Selvinskiy
You take a deep breath, the stress has passed by.   | (Taken from "The Sum
But real fear is a stone deep down in your chest.   |   of All Fears" by
You hear me?  A stone.  That's what it is, no more. | Tom Clancy pg. 182.)