Re: pppd says serial line is not 8 bit clean'!

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Carl V Streeter wrote:

> Billy Chow writes:
> >
> > Thanks for the reply.  From the fact that pppd was trying to negotiate
> > connection by sending out packets, I think it 's not about chat
> > expecting the wrong string (as can be seen from /var/log/message where
> > it says CHAT `got' all the expected strings).
>
> Well, I sometimes get this when calling my provider at peak times.  I think
> I remember reading that If the PPP software on the other side doesn't
> start up right away, your side will say "It's not responding to my
> queries, so the line must not be 8 bit clean".  I think that there's a
> timeout value that can be increased, but since it usually works for me
> on the second try or so, I don't care all that much.  Too lazy to look ;)
>
> Maybe this rings a bell for someone else.
>

> --
> Carl Streeter                   |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
> streeter@cae.wisc.edu           |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert
> Just another Perl hacker        |  "I'm a heartless bastard." --Linus Torvalds
> Ask me about Debian/GNU Linux.  |    http://www.cae.wisc.edu/~streeter/

I had this problem (I think I had a slightly different error message though)
and this was the solution I used: log into your provider manually using
something like minicom/telix etc.  Watch every string up to the very end.
My provider always ended with:

Gateway: #.#.#.#

where this is the gateway's IP. You need to give chat a string that happens
--right before-- the other end starts getting responsive, so I used part of
this last line.  It works well.

Alternately, the man page for chat lists:

       \n     Send a newline or linefeed character.

       \d     Delay for one second.  The  program  uses  sleep(1)
              which  will delay to a maximum of one second.  (not
              valid in expect.)

... as special characters for 'transmit' strings.

In other words, instead of

 ... pppgate login: ppp
use
 ... pppgate login: ppp\n\d\d\d\d\d

which _should_ enter the ppp string and then wait one second for each \d.

Use enough \d's to cover the time required, maybe time a Win95 login, I have
not tried this since I can use the first method I listed.  (which shouldn't
depend as much on 'peak' hours etc.)

How this helps,

So you think you know the real meaning of fear?       |
Yeah, you think you do know, but I doubt it.          |  kmb203@psu.edu
When you sit in a shelter with bombs falling all over.|  running Debian
And the houses around you are burning like torches.   |  Linux v 1.3.66
I agree that you experience horror and fright         |  (development)
For such moments are dreadful, for as long as they last,
But the all-clear sounds--then it's okay--          |  -- Ilya Selvinskiy
You take a deep breath, the stress has passed by.   | (Taken from "The Sum
But real fear is a stone deep down in your chest.   |   of All Fears" by
You hear me?  A stone.  That's what it is, no more. | Tom Clancy pg. 182.)