Re: Redhat versus debian

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> I have spent four hours online looking at the Linux world today, I must
> say that it is quite impressive for such a new operating system. So it
> looks like the choice is beteen debian and redhat, the latter has cd roms
> available, but no group like this. I would like to hear opinions on redhat

Installed both, and both are quite good. RH is ELF now, which may
or may not be an advantage. Debian gives you a nice, clean system
and allows you to do your own configuring with a minimum of fuss.
RH comes with more bells and whistles in this respect. You may want
to undo some of their cleverness, or perhaps not. If you want a very
configured setup right out of the box, there is also Caldera (RH with
something extra).

 #  sbolt@xs4all.nl  #   Steven Bolt   #  popular science monthly KIJK  #