Re: Difference between debian and slackware

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Lindsay Allen wrote:

> > Wouldn't it be possible to delay the conflict resolution to the moment
> > the user finishes with selecting? This would aavoid many conflicts.
> >

>   An even more urgent need from my point of view is a screen to let
> us know what it intends doing before it acutally does it.

Exactly correct, yes, me too :-)

> stuff deleted >

> I still have no idea what the Update item does or how or when I
> should use it.  Or if I should ftp the latest Packages and use that?

The first time I tried to use dselect, it was in an attempt to remove a
package. I found the place to set it for removal, thought I chose to
impliment that removal (might have been Update? It's been a while), and
found dselect off merrily installing everything in Packages that it could
find in the associated subdirectories, no questions asked.
I don't need a whole bunch of 'mother may I' and 'are you sure' but a
simple 'Want to install the world? <Yes|No>:' pause would be very useful
in such an automated environment.

> My compliments to Ian, Bruce and the rest of the Debian team.  I am
> impressed with what I am now running, thanks to them.

I wish to add my thanks as well to: Ian J., Bruce P., Ian M., for their
most excelent work on Debian in general and the ever improving
installation software in specific. Thanks guys for all you have done for us.

Dwarf