emacs related problems

>>>>> "Billy" == Billy Chow <billy.chow@eng.ox.ac.uk> writes:

Billy> 1.  Emacs doesn't seem to load the site-start.el from the
Billy> /usr/lib/emacs/site-lisp.  when I put the site-start.el file as .emacs
Billy> in my home directory, it works.  It used to work with my Slackware 2.3
Billy> system with emacs 19.28.  I browse through the info files for emacs
Billy> (not very thoroughly I must admit) and could not find anything.

Emacs just does a load of "site-start". This means three things.

First of all, site-start.el only needs to be in load-path (i.e. in one
of the directories listed in the variable `load-path'). It does not
have to be any specific directory.

Second, if there is more than one copy oif site-start.el, it may
shadow the version you think you are loading.

Third, if somebody happened to compile site-start.el, this compiled
version would take precedence over the other, though you ought to get
a warning if the .el file is newer than the .elc one.

You can use the command `locate-library' to check this. Typing:

	M-x locate-library site-start

would display precisely which file emacs gets hold of when loading
site-start.

Another trick is to start emacs up without any default loads as in:

	emacs --no-site-file -q

turn on debugging by evaluating

	(setq debug-on-error t)

and then perform the actions of the start up procedure (i.e. loading
site-start, .emacs and then default). This way you get immediate
feedback if an error happens somewhere deeply buried in the
initialization phase.

Christian Lynbech          | Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus
Office: R0.32              | Ny Munkegade, Building 540, DK-8000 Aarhus C
Phone: +45 8942 3218       | lynbech@daimi.aau.dk -- www.daimi.aau.dk/~lynbech
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)