Partition inconsistency

I had a extra 15 meg linux partion on my drive. (an error when
installing)  It was completely useless.  Tonight I got rid of it.
Using fdisk I deleted that partion and my real linux partion.  I knew
there was risk in this, but nothing ventured ....  Then I made a new
partion with all the available space.  It seems to have worked out fine
except for one thing. The command df still shows the old space for the
drive, but fdisk shows the new larger amount.   Is there away to inform my
entire system about the change that I made?  I would like to be able to
use that extra space.  Thanks in advance