dpkg-1.0.17 and ftp.debian.org

Recently on the debian-changes list, Ian Jackson announced dpkg version
1.0.17.  I can't access ftp.debian.org, and the mirror on
ftp.microworld.net doesn't seem to have any version newer than dpkg
1.0.15.

Two questions:

1) I am still running an a.out system.  I am planning on waiting until
Debian 1.1 before I switch to ELF.  There is no mention in the
announcement if this version is ELF only, or is compatable with a.out.
Should I upgrade dpkg now, or wait?

2) I understand ftp.debian.org is undergoing some reorganization, and
is currently difficult, if not impossible, to reach.  I've tried the
mirror at microworld, but it doesn't seem to be current.  When will
ftp.debian.org be back up?

Thanks...
--
Buddha Buck