Problems with Emacs and FTP

Hiho...

I use a fairly vanilla Debian-9.93R6 system, with emacs-19.29-4,
netstd-1.25-1, and ncftp-2.1.0-1.  I also have emacs-el-19.29-1.

When I try to use Emacs to FTP files (using Ange-FTP, which comes with
Emacs), it fails because Emacs can't handle the output from
/usr/bin/ftp.

/usr/bin/ftp is spitting out VT-100/ANSI terminal commands on its
output.  While Emacs can recognise "Connected to..." as a success, it's
interpreting "^[[?1l^[>Connected to..." as a failure.

I do not see this as a problem with Emacs.  I see it as a problem with
ftp.

Why is the plain, old fashioned, line oriented ftp command spewing
screen codes?  I would have expected it from ncftp, which is Curses
based, but not from the old ftp program.  I also noticed that ncftp in
line mode doesn't do this, but since I haven't modified emacs to use
ncftp instead of ftp yet, I don't know if it will solve my problem.
Ncftp's output format is slightly different from plain ftp.

Should I report this as a bug to Peter Tobias?  My binary for
/usr/bin/ftp definately came from the netstd distribution, and I have
him listed as maintainer.

--
Buddha Buck
85.5 Albany Street