'/' in names in /etc/termcap

I have installed an ALPHA-TEST/debian-1.0 system and several packages.
I am getting a horde of error messages from programs about '/'
characters in terminal names in /etc/termcap.  It sounds like an
ncurses or ncurses3.0 problem to me.  Can anyone tell me what packages
to install or remove?

(I can provide more details on what is installed, etc. but I have the
feeling this is a "well known" situation.  I did check the FAQ and
only saw mention of adding linux to the name of the console terminal.)