re:Request for a getty entry for a dial-in modem

>I'm running a pretty plain vanilla Debian installation and am wanting
>to support remote logins via the modem.  I did this long ago with a
>system that I had build on since the Linux 0.12 days and used (I think)
>mgetty.  As I recall it was pretty involved replacing all of the getty
>stuff with mgetty.  I don't really want to go to all that trouble
>again if there is an easier way.

The best way I've found is to use "efax".  This will allow both receiving
faxes and receiving incoming data connections (if you have a fax/modem,
of course).

The only disadvantage to this is that it fixes the serial port at
19.2kbps because many modems apparently automatically drop to 19.2kbps
when receiving a fax regardless of the original connect speed.  This
was causing unexplained "hang-ups" so the option to set the speed was
removed from efax.  I've asked Ed (the author) to reinstate it for
those of us with modems that can handle it, but he has so far refused.
If enough people asked, maybe he would change his mind.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )