Printing

Well, call me an idiot if you will, but print spooling under Unix is
about my last piece of unexplored territory.  And I can't work out
why it won't do the job for me.

I have an IBM (Lexmark) Execjet II (4076) printer.  But that's not
really relevant - I really just want line printing jobs done, so
the generic printcap I would've though would be fine.

But it doesn't work - all I get are a couple of lines at best, then
lots of blank pages if it's a long file.

The cable and card are fine and it all works brilliantly under windows.
This probably has an obvious answer, but what am I doing wrong?

(catting to the lp devices gives the same result as using lpr to queue
and print the job.)

... Stephen