Re: AcceleratedX and XFree86

According to John T. Larkin:

> One of the things you would gain by using _XFree86_ is the ease of use of
> the debian packages.  Using the packages, X usually works 'out of the box',
> and sometimes requires minor tweaks to get it running.  All of the
> X-libraries, fonts, accelerated server options, symlinks, etc. are all set
> up for you.  Unless you're doing something where graphics speed with X
> is of utmost importance, the time saved by using the debian XFree86 packages
> over AcceleratedX would be greater than the time saved by a slightly faster
> X.

Since AccelX sits on top of it, there isn't any problem with this.
I've found AccelX to be much easier configure.  It's usually
just looking up your card's name in a database of 400+ cards.
However, it's a one copy per machine and no source situation.  I know if
I had a high-performance card and there was a better product for supporting
it and it was fairly cheap then I do it.  It's a good $100 for a
$300 card.   :)

	Regards,
		Dan

BTW, again I still don't work for Xinside and these are *my* opinions.

--
Dan Miner					dminer@nyx.cs.du.edu
	"The longer I stare at this screen; the blanker it gets."