Re: AcceleratedX and XFree86

According to Masood Ahmed:

> I am trying to setup a PC to run Debian Linux on but found out from my vendor
> that the #9 Motion 771 video adapter that I ordered (4 months ago!) came with
> only 2 MB VRAM instead of 4 MB VRAM as I had requested.  They suggested going
> with the Matrox Milennium.  Found out it is a lot faster but that it is NOT
> supported by XFree86 but IS supported by AcceleratedX.
>
> What do I gain by using AcceleratedX instead of XFree86 besides speed and H/W
> support and what do I lose?  AccleratedX has several different packages that
> can be purchased.  Can I get the same stuff from XFree86?  What about the code?
> If I want to do X Window programming, will I be losing valuable coding examples
> by using AccelerateX?  Any other pluses/minuses?

I have install Accelerated a couple of times.

The plus(s):
	* vastly more hardware supported.
	* more color options.
	* commercial support.
	* Very good speed.
	* Sits on top of XFree86.

Negative(s):
	* NO source code to the server itself.
	* Non-redistributable... one copy per machine.
	* Potential for slower bug fixes.
	* no support for non-standard text mode resolution VT switching.

Overall, if you have the money and want *easy* installation, then
it's the way to go.

	Regards,
		Dan

BTW, I do not work for Xinside and these are *my* opinions.
--
Dan Miner					dminer@nyx.cs.du.edu
	"The longer I stare at this screen; the blanker it gets."