Re: Can't boot debian 0.93 on compaq contura aero

> I just downloaded debian and purged my compaq laptop of windows, and
> now I've just attempted to install debian 0.93 but the booting doesn't
> complete.  The boot disk loaded OK, and requested me to insert the
> root disk.   The root disk loaded, but then I got a "terminal error".
> Behold a transcript:
>
> RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into RAM disk.......................................................................................
> done
> VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)
> Error opening terminal: linux
>
> I tried making new root disks, on different physical floppies, but to
> no avail.  I'm quite sure that Linux is compatible with my system, as
> I had a Slackware distribution install six months ago.
>
> Please help.
>
> Jonas August
> Centre for Intelligent Machines, McGill University
> 3480 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada  H3A 2A7
> Internet: august@cim.mcgill.ca  Tel: (514) 398-7158  Fax: (514) 398-7348

Hi,
I had the same problem when I tried to install Debian in my notebook. There are
a couple of things:

1. Well I had the problem that my Notebook only has 4MB and while it is enough
   to install Slackware (I am running Slackware 3.0), it isn't with debian.
   If that is your problem, desist. I am not familiar with the specs of your
   Compaq laptop. There is no way around it (IMHO) Maybe somebody else knows
   how and we can both profit from it...

2. The termcap file that came with debian didn't work. I changed it (mounted
   the root disk in my other Linux system and edited the file). I basicly took
   the slackware file and changed it a bit and erased the one provided by
   debian. I am not sure if I still have it though. If I find it I will forward
   it to you directly. The changes were basicly to get rid of most special
   definitions. I also had to rename the entries to match those expected by
   the debian install program. I managed to get it working but I am sure people
   will know better less cumbersome ways of going about it.

I hope this helps.
Luis.