how to change the kernel in the boot disk?

I'm trying to isntall 0.93R6 in a machine with a Buslogic SCSI card
and a Zynx ether card. However the boot kernel thinks they're an
Adaptec 1542 and a lance ones :-( Therefore I'd like to compile a
tailored kernel in another machine and put it in the boot disk to do
the installation. Is this possible? How? What's the filesystem on the
boot disk? How can I run lilo to make the floppy bootable?

Carlos