Re: modules problems

On Thu, 1 Feb 1996 rulnick@seas.ucla.edu wrote:

> Unresolved Issues (IMHO)
> ------------------------
> 1. What exactly happens with 'make modules' and 'make
> modules_install'?  Can someone describe the algorithm, or at least the
> philosophy?

These actions will ONLY compile and install options in config marked with
'm', with the exception of the bsd_comp module (I have no idea why
bsd_comp is an exception, and it gives errors at boot up)

> 2. Should 'make modules' and 'make modules_install' *precede* or
> *follow* the kernel-building 'make zlilo' (or 'zImage' or 'zdisk')?

It doesn't seem to matter. (A little thought indicates their relative
unconnectedness)

> 3. Are there instances when 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'
> should *not* be used?

When you set CONFIG_MODULES and CONFIG_KERNELD  to 'n' you will not need
to do these steps.

> 4. What are the appropriate settings, *and why*, for
>
> 	CONFIG_MODVERSIONS?
> 	CONFIG_MODULES?
> 	CONFIG_KERNELD?

CONFIG_MODULES and CONFIG_KERNELD should be yes for modules and no for
monolithic kernel.

I still have no idea what CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is for :-(

> I certainly understand if people are tired of talking about modules,
> so my apologies to the exasperated.

I too can understand why some might become exasperated. I personaly get
exasperated (read torqued) when others wish to end the discussion before
all points have been resolved.

It is quite clear that the "loadable modules" issues are not yet
resolved.

YHS,

Dwarf