Re: modules problems

I just went back and re-read modules.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation.
BTW, there are other good reads in this directory :-)

It makes a lot more sense, now that I understand the 'm' config option
better. The second paragraph speaks to the CONFIG_MODVERSIONS issue, but
is still a little vague. If I understand what is said there; setting this
option frees modules from being version dependant, but makes the system
dependant on the modules-1.1.8 package of utilities. I suspect this is
why Simon and Bruce would wish to not set this option (installation is
easier with fewer dependancies). It seems to me that the only time this
option would be really useful, would be when you want to upgrade the
kernel, but don't want to upgrade some, or all, of the modules (for
instance, the new version doesn't support your hardware any more, while
the old one does)

Another point that is vaguely referenced in modules.txt is that of the
root file system. You CAN NOT modularize the file system used by the root
file system. (The module must already be loaded before you can mount the
file system that the module resides on. Catch 22)

RL calls,

Dwarf