Re: diald, pppd, ppp

    Dale> After you install ppp all you need to do is edit /etc/ppp/ppp-connect and
    Dale> put in your providers phone number, your login and password; then edit
    Dale> /etc/ppp/options setting the /dev/xxx line to the cuax port your modem is on.

In the latest ppp package ppp-2.2.0e-2 only available I the ALPHA_TEST
tree I have removed the ppp-connect script because it was too insecure
- ps can be used to show the passwd etc.

There are as many different way to start ppp as there are ppp
users. In the package I have tryed to provide the simplest possible
setup for a newbie ppp user. More experienced users will obviously
want to do their owm thing.

In the new version there is a documented ppp/options file in which you
should set you modem device, and speed together with fairly standard
args (asyncmap, modem, crtscts and lcp-echo stuff). This also has the
connect string.

  "chat -v -t 120 -f /opt/ppp/chatscript"

The file /opt/ppp/chatscript contains the text/response pairs for
starting ppp on the peer system.

    Dale> Su to root and type pppd. It should run from there.

There is a script in /etc/init.d called ppp that is used by the system
to initiate a ppp conection at boot time. This should be edited to
change the 0 to a 1 neer the begining in-order to activate it.

If you do not want ppp to start a boot time but want instead to start
a ppp connection when necessary I would suggest that you copy the ppp
script to somewhere like /usr/local/sbin. Then, as root, you can do
/usr/local/sbin/ppp [start|stop].

You need to be root because the pppd executable is NOT suid root.

alvar

--
Alvar Bray

Meiko Limited        Phone:    +44 1454 616171
650 Aztec West       Fax:      +44 1454 618188
Bristol BS12 4SD     E-Mail:   alvar@meiko.co.uk
England              WWW: