Re: 1.3.57 module loading problems

Anno Domini 31 Jan 96 at 8:34, debian-user@Pixar.com wrote:

> I am getting really tired of the way modules don't work, and the
> statement "Linus doesn't use modules" is a very poor excuse for these
> features not working.

---- SNIP ----
Why don't you just forget the hole thing.  As you have now
sadly learned the hole module-buziness is rotten.
Now you also know why Linus does not use modules, they give more pain
then happiness.

As for the preset status of modules they are _not_ a feature but
_Gaggle_Of_Bugs_, which can easily be avoided by saying CONFIG_MODULES
= N.

I have tryed to use modules every now and then (actually every new
kerner-version, I try to keep an open mind :) ) but in the end I
allways go back to good, working, monolithic kernel.

I completely fail to see any benefits in using modules as they are
kernel-version dependent anyway, if you upgrade your kernel you must
upgrade your modules just as well.  In this case you are just as well
off by using The Monolith.  It would be a totally different story if
the modules were not versiondependent.

Cheers.
--
Lauri Tischler, Network Admin          Tel: +358-0-47846331
Finlandia Interface Oy                 Fax: +358-0-47846500