Re: Debian installation

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Shawn Asmussen wrote:

> 	I recently switched over from Slackware to Debian, and I've got a
> couple of questions. First of all, although I downloaded the entire binary
> directory, and it's subdirectories, some of the packages recommend other
> packages that I don't seem to have, such as (recommends pgp, or
> recommends mpeg). I can install pgp myself, and I can figure out where to
> get mpeg probably, but if they're already available as debian packages,
> where do I get them?

  from the 'stable' directory they are in ../non-free and ../contrib.
Non-free refers not to price but to copyleftedness.

Some of these dependencies I can't get to go away; ie ispell always wants a
wordlist, even though it has enough to run perfectly well, the word list
entry for the lists I have forgot to list 'provides word-list' and so it
thinks it doesn't have one;  also innewsinn or whatever should probably
accept 'newsreader' not 'trn' and then have 'provides newsreader's but does
not.  All in all it works remarkably well though.

  If you are using dpkg-ftp you need to specify a different path.  If you
are installing from harddisk, you can make a couple directories in the
tree, ie binary/devel is a directory, so make a binary/non-free and
binary/contrib.

  It looks like what directory its in after you download it doesn't matter:
it seems like dselect just looks though all the available subdirectories and
opens all the .deb files and uses info inside them to tell what's what,
since you can rename the packages and all is peachy.

> 	Before with slackware I was using Xfree 3.1.1, and everything was
> fine. Now, with 3.1.2 which is what debian has, X -probeonly blanks out
> my screen with a little bit of white stuff in a pattern, and locks up my
> machine. If I don't run X -probeonly, it just does the same thing when I try
> to startx. I had the same problem once when I tried to upgrade from 3.1.1 to
> 3.1.2 while still using Slackware, so I'm assuming that's where the problem
> is. My next idea is to put a small installation of Slackware back in
> (Since I have it handy on CD, and it's got 3.1.1), and run X -probeonly,
> and copy the clocks line that it generates, so that 3.1.2 hopefully never has
> to perform the probe that hangs the system. I'm using a generic ET4000/W32
> video card. Anybody know of something I should be doing differenly, or
> anything?

I have limited experience but there are places in the documentation where
(at least for mine, S3) where there are options like 'nomemaccess' or
'nolinear'.  My system crashed until I enabled nolinear, so maybe try some
of those otherwise useless looking options.  (BTW I have never seen hide nor
hair of your type of card, so I am not an expert.)

I think X -probeonly looks at your configuration.

> 							Thanks,
>
> 							Shawn Asmussen
> 							Omaha, NE, USA

_____Running_Debian_Linux__(stable)__version_1.2.13___________
This is a test of the emergency broadcasting system.  In the /  --beeeeep--
case of a real emergency, this message would be followed by /  Kevin Bealer
light relaxing music, and I would be on my way to Idaho,   / kmb203@psu.edu
where cousin Jake has a concrete bunker with a six year    \______
supply of shotgun shells and ... um, gotta go! ... (light music)  |