Re: listing of files a package installs?

Gerald Jensen writes:

>Is there a way to know which packages installed which files.
>Sometimes I'll want to install a particular utility and doing a grep
>on the Packages may not help if it's not explicitly listed in the
>description or name of the package (it may just say something like
>"foo utilities").  It would be nice if there were a comprehensive
>listing somewhere that lists ALL the files that a package would
>install.  Or, perhaps there is and I don't know about it.

.../debian/debian-0.93/Contents and .../debian/debian-0.93/Contents.gz
may be worth a look.  Also, to find out the contents of a particular
package file:

	dpkg --contents foo-1.3-1.deb

...and for a package that you've installed:

	dpkg --listfiles foo

--
Richard Kettlewell  richard@uk.geeks.org  http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/