Lengthy delay after first login prompt

I have now completed my debian installation, and everything is working
quite well. I just have a few queries;

 o On a reboot, the first login prompt appears to work correctly,
   but goes into a 10 second pause before displaying the motd. Later logins
   do not delay. Switching to any of the virtual terminals and trying to login
   on them also delays until the first 10 seconds are up, and then everything
   runs ok. This is annoying during configuration work. Any thoughts?

 o I use my machine at two different sites. Is there a package that will allow
   me to have multiple configurations selectable at bootup, or do I have
   to write one myself?

 o I like to keep a backup mirror of my home partition on a seperate disk,
   which I mirror every so often manually using a script based on cpio. This
   takes quite a while ;-), so is there anyone with a script which find just
   the files which have changed or been deleted? Would this be any faster??

 o Anyone got the latex installation to work? There were some metafont problems
   for me, but after terminating the mf shells, dpkg thinks they have been
   successfully installed.

Where is the man page for tar? Having said that, tar --help does contain an
epic of information.

 Gordon