Re: please check for this

On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Some of my kernel installation scripts may have left your hard-disk kernel
> configured for a RAM disk. I'm not sure, but this might be wasting 1.5MB
> memory on your system. To test for it, use the command:
>
> 	rdev -r /vmlinuz
>
> If the answer is "Ramsize 0", it's OK. If the answer is "Ramsize 1440",
> become the super user and run this command:
>
> 	rdev -r /vmlinuz 0
>
> That will fix it. Write back to me and tell me if you have to do this.
> I found this in generating the disks that install the base from CD-ROM
> (I fixed those). I'm not sure that it's really happened to anyone who
> installed from floppies.

I installed from floppies (base disks), and the remainder via an NFS
mount of my local mirror of debian.

The /vmlinuz installed had a ramdisk setting of 1440.

I fixed it but it's unlikely to be a problem for me as i recompiled the
kernel to suit my system anyway.

I have my own set of scripts to automatically compile the kernel, copy
the zImage file to /boot/zImage.whatever and automatically update the
LILO entries...e.g. I just type something like:

	makelinux new 1.2.13.new

the syntax is:

	makelinux <lilo-label> <zImage-suffix> [dep|clean]

I've also set up /etc/lilo.conf so that the first entry points to a
zImage called zImage.latest which is a symbolic link to the latest
compiled kernel.  The makelinux scripts automatically update this
symlink.  This is so that the next reboot will have the new kernel as
the default boot image.

There's error checking at relevant points, of course, so that if the
kernel compile fails for any reason, makelinux just exits rather than
trying to install a non-existant zImage into lilo.  The script also runs
"lilo -t && lilo" so that the lilo table is only updated if there are no
errors in lilo.conf.

You're welcome to have a copy to use and/or modify for the debian
project if you like.

Craig