Re: No PPP support in Debian kernel/image?

Evert-Jan Couperus writes:

 > On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Bill Hogan wrote:
 >
 > > "BP" == Bruce Perens <bruce@Pixar.com> writes:
 > >
 > >   BP> Are you running 1.2.13-7 ? It's on
 > >   BP> ftp://ftp.pixar.com/pub/bruce/Debian .
 > >
 > >   BP> Bruce
 > >   BP> --
 > >
 > >    No, I am running image-1.2.13-5.
 > >
 > >    Am I to take you to be saying that image-1.2.13-5 does not have
 > > compiled into it PPP support but image-1.2.13-7 does?
 >
 > No. I am using the same packages as you do (image-1.2.13-5, ppp-2.2-1)
 > and it works fine over here. Your attempt to load the ppp.o module seems
 > to choke on some symbols from the slhc.o module.
 >
 > We could compare our configurations and see what makes the difference.
 > Since that involves sending (possably a lot of) stuff not directly of
 > interest to this mailing list I suggest we do that outside debian-user.
 >
 > Evert-Jan.

    Hi, Evert-Jan, and thank you for the kind offer!

    I had not noticed that the `slhc' mentioned in the the error
messages was itself a module, so this time I tried doing `insmod slhc'
*before* I did `insmod ppp' and -- "if u cn rd ths" -- the PPP module
seems to have been loaded correctly.

    My intuition is telling me this information is probably of more
general interest so I hope you do not mind I have cc'd this reply to
debian-user.

    Cheers and thanks again -- made my day!

    Bill