Re: PPP version 0.0.0 is out of date?

Somebody suggested I use kernel 1.2.13-6 for running pppd, but I just
looked and could only find 1.2.13-5 in the stable release area;  is
1.2.13-6 in the development area?  I picked up the 1.2.13-5 and compiled
it, and got the following messages when I booted the new kernel:

  >IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
  >PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
  >TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
  >PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Calde ra, Inc.
  >PPP line discipline registered.
  >unregister_netdev: device 'ppp0' unlinked
  >unregister_netdev: device 'ppp1' unlinked
  >unregister_netdev: device 'ppp2' unlinked
  >unregister_netdev: device 'ppp3' unlinked

I then re-installed the older source (1.2.13-3) and re-compiled it and
got the following results:

  >IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
  >PPP: version 0.2.7 (4 channels) NEW_TTY_DRIVERS OPTIMIZE _FLAGS
  >TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
  >PPP line discipline registered.

I thought that that ppp was already part of the kernel, and I also
thought that both of these releases are 1.2.13?  Anyways, the problems
I was having with the pppd daemon not running was with the 2nd case.
(Obviously it wouldn't run with the first case.)  So am I going to have
to find a new (or old) source version of pppd to work with the older
kernel code?

Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org