Channel 1 IDE problems revisited

A month or so ago Bruce P. helped me resolve a system hanging problem I
was having with a drive on the second IDE controler in my system. (This
is a pentium PCI mother board with IDE/floppy controlers, serial ports,
and parallel ports all on the mother board. This IDE controler offers two
channels (0 and 1) which each can handle 2 physical drives. When I had
the gig drive on channel 1 and mounted it the system would hang on a
find.

Well, for various reasons I swapped the 210 meg dos drive (master on
channel 0) with the 1 gig dos drive (master on channel 1) making sure to
get the master/slave jumpers recofigured. Now the gig drive boots ok, the
linux drive boots ok, and if I mount the 210 meg drive all seems well
untill I df. The system hangs when the 210 meg drive gets interrogated.

Now, so far everything is as expected. However, when I boot dos and try
to mount the D drive (the 210 meg dos drive) dos tells me that the disk
is not a dos disk! If I check with dos fdisk it tells me the partition
type is unknown! When I get back into linux and use the linux fdisk it
tells me that the partition type is: DOS 16-bit >=32M.

So, now I have my old dos partition that can't be accessed by either
linux or dos! Anybody have any great ideas? (I know dos stinks. I've
known it for a long time now. But I still need to deal with it, at least
a little bit)

YHS,

Dale

*     If it's not one thing, it's a whole bunch of things!               *
*                            Raphael (the Turtle, not the Painter)       *