Re: install questions

    Luby> 4. It appears that the xf86config program has bugs.

    Luby> Examples.

    Luby> -- After I run it, xinit failed because it could not find
    Luby> /dev/mouse.  I created a link from /dev/ps2mouse to
    Luby> /dev/mouse.  This got rid of the mouse error message.

xf86config is apparently not tuned for Debian's choice of device
names; you may want to submit this as a Debian bug report if it's not already
been done.  Your fix will work fine, as will setting the device
directly in the configuration file.  It's all in the XF86Config man
page.  Here's my pointer section:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol	"PS/2"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"
    Emulate3Buttons
EndSection

    Luby> -- I chose Diamond Stealth 64 video vram with 2048kb.  But
    Luby> the configuration file still has the line 2048kb commented
    Luby> out (with #).

This info should be autodetected like most characteristics of your
video card, so you don't need to have it in the config file anyway.  I have
a similar card, and my entire Device section is simply:

Section "Device"
    Identifier	"Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM (Trio64)"
EndSection

I use xdm to invoke the server with a color depth of 16 bits:

SubSection "Display"
   Depth	    16
   Modes	    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubsection

    Luby> After xf86config, and xinit, I was able to get a xterm
    Luby> window.  No colors.  I need to find time to do more
    Luby> investigations.  Meanwhile, I will appreciate any advice.

The xterm that comes with Debian is not colorized.  I would guess that
either no one's bothered to do this yet or there are legal
fcomplications.  I found my Slackware 2.3 binaries color_xterm and
color_ls work fine, so it should be trivial for you to get color
working once you have the right programs.