Re: Networking probs, ifconfig?

>What I cannot yet do is to network with an existing Sun Network. What
>I currently can see (dmesg) is:
---
>VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
>CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
---
>I am not sure if my ethernet module is loading correctly. All I see is:
>Is it supposed to give the ethernet card number as well?

Presently, the ethernet probe should, for the 3c501, 503, 505, or 509
cards (3c501.c 9/23/94, 3c503.c v1.10, 3c507.c v1.10, 3c509.c v1.03)
logs a message when it hits a card.  Are you sure you've got your card
configured in the kernel?

>Also, When I do "ifconfig eth0", I get:
>eth0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
[ snip ]
>          Interrupt:5 Base address:0x280

>I do not understand this. I expect the ethernet addr would have been
>the "HWaddr"

It is.

>Does it also mean that the network masks and things are not correct?
>They have been set in /etc/networks/netmasks

No, those are another layer up from this.  This is a device layer
problem, because it deals with your card, not a protocol or network
layer problem, dealing with /etc/*

>Does this mean that my ethernet card is not configured correctly?  It's
>a 3com card.

Which one?  And is it indeed at 0x280 irq 5?

>I am used to SunOS networking, and I have noticed a few differences
>between Linux and SunOS, such as /etc/hostname.eth0, etc,
>	Or can someone give me some ready pointers to files that should
>have different bits of info (e.g. /etc/ethers, etc/hosts, etc, etc)

Lesseee... I posted that a while back to this list...  Check out the
debian-user archive, under latest/2786.  Note that there was a typo;
/etc/networks is not the same format as /etc/hosts.

--
http://www.wp.com/joelh --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped