Re: Installation Using SLIP

> I've been unsuccessful in installing Debian 0.93R6 onto my home
> PC using an NFS mount over a SLIP connection at work here. This is
> where I am at:
>
> 1) Base installation and boot is OK.
> 2) NFS mount of debian tree over SLIP is OK.
> 3) Selecting packages using 'dselect' is OK.
>
> When I proceed with the installation of the selected packages,
> infrequent transmission errors, CRC failures etc. occur and dpkg is
> unable to recover, leaving everything in a half-baked state that I
> have been unable to fix. Is there a more robust version of dpkg that
> can do this reliably (ie. go and get the files that don't transfer
> properly) ?
>
> My hard drive is only 128MB, so I can't ftp everything over first and
> then install locally.
>
> I really don't want to install from floppies.
>
> I have access to a laptop that I could borrow - is it possible to due
> an installation from the laptop to my PC using the serial ports ?
>
> Thanks for any help! (Sorry for the length of this post...)

I made a bug report on this - The Debian 0.93R6 release has a stuffed CSLIP
driver (I hope this is what you're using).  The soloution is to NOT load the
slip/slhc module at boot up - just rely on the kernel.  SLIP works find
however, just not Compressed SLIP.

I don't know that the devolpers are doing about that little bug, I've had to
tell several very fustrated people thinking it was something they did wrong
that it's the actualy module that's stuffed.  I found out the hard way :)

...Karl

--
 |                         PO Box 828   Office: (09)316-3036 Fax: (09)381-3909
 |OWER INTERNET SERVICES   Canning Bridge   After Hours:  015-779-828
                           WA, 6153     Sales Support: sales@tower.com.au
Internet Service Providers
 and Networking Solutions