Re: 1.0

    Dirk> Why don't you use the /usr/local part of the filesystem?

I have 320 megabytes of non-Debian things in /usr/local.

Part of the problem is sloppy Debian configurations.  Don't get me
wrong, this is a mild criticism, Debian rules, but little changes make
some things better, and I have submitted or intend to submit bug
reports/suggestions where relevant.  I think this is inevitable.

Examples.

If you have emacs and auctex and w3, then your emacs will load
w3-init.el and tex-site.el even with "-q -batch" mode?  That's
inefficient, and requires a change in /usr/lib to correct.

The TeX distribution doesn't build an ls-R database.  That's
inefficient and requires adding it to /usr/lib/texmf.  Also, to adjust
the configuration at all you must change the master config file in
/usr/lib/texmf/web2c -- you can't move it.

I installed a new kernel of my own compiling in /boot.  It's more efficient.

The local "Debian home page" installed in /home/httpd-data points to
/usr/doc/hyperlatex/examples when it should point to
/usr/doc/hyperlatex.

Since Emacs (surprisingly) does not have a reliable transparent
interface to .gz files, I've had to uncompress a lot of things in
/usr/doc in order to read them conveniently.  You have to actually
build the documentation in a lot of cases (LaTeX's, for example).

I wanted my DAT on /dev/nst0 owned by a different user group than
"disk".

Etc.