Re: 1.0

Matthew Swift writes:
>>Dirk Eddelbuettel <Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca> writes:

>>Why don't you use the /usr/local part of the filesystem?
>
>I have 320 megabytes of non-Debian things in /usr/local.
>
>Part of the problem is sloppy Debian configurations.  Don't get me
>wrong, this is a mild criticism, Debian rules, but little changes make
>some things better, and I have submitted or intend to submit bug
>reports/suggestions where relevant.  I think this is inevitable.
[...]

Please do submit bug reports!

>Since Emacs (surprisingly) does not have a reliable transparent
>interface to .gz files,

jka-compr works fine for me.  Are you using it and finding it
unreliable, or just unaware of it?

If it's not activated by default then this is probably a bug (unless
there's some good reason...)

>I've had to uncompress a lot of things in /usr/doc in order to read
>them conveniently.  You have to actually build the documentation in a
>lot of cases (LaTeX's, for example).

>I wanted my DAT on /dev/nst0 owned by a different user group than
>"disk".

I think the absence of a tape group has already been reported as a bug
- but don't quote me.  I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned before
somewhere.

ttfn/rjk