Re: Does emacs need X?

In article <[🔎] m0t9N73-0002bdC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Dale Scheetz writes ("Re: Does emacs need X? "):
> > >
> > > I'd rather not use the disk space unless it is needed. All of the things that
> > > use it properly list a dependency on it, and the thing gets installed if you
> > > install anything that uses it. What's wrong with this?
> >
> > Nothing, I guess... If you didn't download the x11 directory the first
> > time, because you thought you didn't want it, you can always come back
> > later and get it...
>
> Perhaps it would be better to put the xlibraries package in a
> different directory ?
>
> This might have other undesirable consequences, though.

As far as I understood ELF, it allows us to build an Emacs that does a
deferred loading of the X libraries. Then Emacs only requires the X
libraries if it uses X.

If this is correct whe should keep in mind that we can solve this
problem (it also appears for ghostscript) in the near future.

Until then nothing should be changed (IMHO), otherwise it will be
too confusing later.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph (sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de); WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/