How do I get 1.47 base 1 file on a 1.44 floppy?

   Sorry to be asking a very basic question, but I'm getting frustrated.

   I noticed that the first of the base files was 147... bytes, but
naively tried to transfer it by ftp to a 1.44 floppy.  It didn't work
(I'm pretty sure I was using binary mode).  Must be doing something wrong.

PS I'm seeing two copies of some people's replies to a previous question
I sent, but thanks for your help anyway.