Re: post-release package update policy

Marcus Daniels writes [SuperCite undone]
> Ian Jackson <ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk> writes:
> > David Engel's proposed stable tree which only gets bugfixes
> > provides this too.  We don't need to cast the release in stone.
>
> So call it R6.0, R6.1, R6.2, etc (and call the experimental version
> R7alpha, or "experimental", "development", or the like). The arguments
> for an unfrozen the stable tree are reasonable enough, and probably
> more consistent with the ethic of Free software.

Well, I expect that with a little extra work the FTP site maintainer
could put a README.version file in an appropriate directory and
increment the revision each time a bunch of package(s) were moved.

The version numbers (especially in the experimental tree) might
increment quite rapidly ...

Ian.